- multi-species mixtures can act to reduce nitrous oxide emissions
- multi-species mixtures had a strong effect on emissions intensity of nitrous oxide
- much lower nitrous oxide emissions from mixtures (150N) when compared against a higher-nitrogen perennial ryegrass monoculture (300N).
Effects of plant diversity on yield and nitrogen use efficiency in intensively managed grasslands by Guylain Grange. This is available as a pdf poster presentation on the BGS website. Alternatively, it can be found here. Key points are:
- Grassland diversity strongly influenced forage yield.
- Nitrogen use efficiency was driven by legume content.
- Diverse mixtures at 150N consistently out-yielded ryegrass monocultures at 300N.